Sunday, December 11, 2005

What are you waiting for?

Believe it or not, the Advent weeks leading up to Christmas are supposed to be a time of reflection, anticipation, waiting (and I don't mean waiting for Christmas presents). On the list of "Things I'm Good At," waiting is nowhere to be found. I hate waiting. Impatient soul that I am, I want to know, to do, to be - now. But waiting is important.

Of course, during Advent I still shop and sing carols and put Baby Jesus in my manger scene instead of waiting until Christmas Day, but I also take time out each day to slow down and remind myself to be patient. By using the Advent time to wonder and reflect prepares me for whatever the outcome of the waiting will be.

Here are some things I'm waiting and wondering about (in no particular order):
  1. My writing muse - where has she gone?
  2. The hostages in Iraq
  3. The outcome of a legal matter - will it happen before the end of the year (please, God)?
  4. Am I being called to do/to be something else in my vocation?
  5. Christmas
What are you waiting for?

3 comments:

petercmoore said...

Ooh, good question.

Most of my non-work time is spent working on plays with my local drama group. And most of that time is spent waiting for the production to be over, so I can have a nice rest, see the missus and catch up on the TV I've missed.

Of course, as soon as it's over I start waiting for the next production to begin. So I don't relax, I start planning what I'm going to do for that production.

So I don't think I do much waiting at all, when it comes down to it.

petercmoore said...

Oh - yes I do.

I spend 8 hours a day waiting until it's time to go home!

MaryB said...

Tamar - fingers crossed for you on the grandchild front. I could never understand why parents put pressure on us to give them grandchildren until the moment my daugher was born. I think one of the first things out of my mouth was ". . . and someday you'll give me grandchildren . . ." (I'll give her a few years to make good on it. She's only 22.)

PT - sounds like you're waiting for the chance to wait!