Monday, December 19, 2005

Severe case of Writer's Guilt

Or maybe that should be Non-Writer's Guilt. Since Thanksgiving, I've had a devil of a time concentrating on my writing. My early morning writing time has evaporated, as I tend to roll over and sleep the extra hour and a half rather than pull myself out of bed to cuddle up with the laptop. And I find the Christmas tree a huge distraction - more often than not, I just sit and stare at it and let my mind drift all over the place.

Now, obviously, the holiday is taking my heart and mind away from the writing, and once things calm down in dark and dreary January, my muse will crawl out from whatever rock she's hiding under. I hope. But I figured this would happen, so the chunk of the story I'm writing takes place during Christmas. I thought having the Christmas tree in my face would help push my creative buttons, but it's not turning out that way.

So I'm feeling guilty about it. Not huge mass-murderer guilt, but constant niggling pricks that I'm not doing what I oughta. Like not keeping to a diet or sending over-due thank you notes. Maybe I should just say to hell with it, this isn't going to happen until after Christmas, and tamp down the guilt. But, oh, I do feel like a lazy, no-good, sham-writer right now. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost never write fiction between Thanksgiving and New Year's. If I was sitting around eating bon-bons and watching All My Children, possibly I would feel guilty for this, but I'm not, so I don't.

What is a bon-bon anyway? Are they good?

MaryB said...

Ooh, thank you, Nobody. Still, you did churn out a novel for NaNo - which I did not do - so you have reason to celebrate with champagne and bon-bons. I'll try to look beyond that, though, and flick off the guilt buzzing around my head because my heart's not in it right now.

Not sure of what a bon-bon is, but here's what I've always imagined it to be: round, chocolate-covered, cream/nougat-filled center, maybe some coconut. Don't know where I got that idea - could be way off base.

Anonymous said...

Mary. I've been feeling the same way and am happy to see that someone else is experiencing "Non-writer's Guilt" as well. I think it has a lot to do with routine. You'd think with all that time off you'd do more writing, but no. At lease for me, I need structure in order to be able to function. Keep working at it, and if our muses happen to be under the same rock, please tell mine to come home too.