Monday, March 20, 2006

Mississippi Mud Chick

I have a new skill to add to my resume - mudder. Yes, you heard it right, friends. Old Shorty can spread "mud" on drywall joints with the best of 'em. And I was, of course, working with the best of 'em - Ella and Amanda. We hooked up with a team from Minnesota - a bunch of laugh-riot guys - and spent most of the day yukking and mudding. Made the time go a whole lot faster, I tell you.

We were working on Regina's (back row, right) house in a neighborhood devastated by Hurricane Katrina. The house across the street will have to be demolished. She said that the owners got stuck on the roof, plus on up in a tree, during the aftermath of the storm. But the house is a total loss, so I Regina's one of the lucky ones. Her home has already been mucked out and new studs, insulation, and drywall up. Well, mostly up. There's still quite a bit of drywall happening (we're letting the boys do that) as we join the wall bits with our mud.

We sang everything from "I Walk The Line" and "American Pie" to "Earl" (Dixie Chicks) to keep the flow going. Same song, second verse tomorrow. I'm I tired old mudder, I am!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, mudder... There will be a special place for you in the great blog beyond, where you will have a gold plated mud board and a diamond studded trowel. Glad there are folks like you who can help with this important work. Wish I could...

Joy Des Jardins said...

What a wonderful thing to do Mary. You're a mudder! What an adventure....Congrats!

Liz Hinds said...

Didn't you sing, 'Dearest mudder, dearest fadder, here I am in Camp Granada'?

Good work, Maryb.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis, I knew you had talent! Good work, you are all in my prayers...Cindy