Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Catchin' Up

Uf golly (new term learned from our Minnesota crew last week). Seems like I haven't posted a real, live, little-miss-know-it-all Shortys post in a while, so I'd better make up for lost time. Odds and ends of the past couple of weeks:

So glad the remaining peacemaker hostages were found alive and rescued (even if they felt sort of compromised in the bargain). Wonder if Tom's story will be told soon. We'll just have to wait and see.

Item listed in this months Harper's Index (love that thing) noted something to the effect that 1 in 5 people come down with a severe cold within a couple of days of a 4 hour+ trip via airplane. Duh. My recent trip to San Francisco springs eye-wateringly, throat-scratchingly to mind. . .

I'm finding the whole South Park vs. Scientology thing hilarious. Don't watch a lot of SP for the very reason that it often reaches a point in the episode that tips me across the "whoa, too far!" line. I do appreciate Trey and Matt's brilliance and their ability to be an equal-opportunity offender (that's why I don't take too much of what they do to heart). I happened to see the original broadcast of the Scientology episode last year, so nyeh-nyeh-nyeh Comedy Central (who pulled it from the schedule last week).

So why did red-headed Donna on That 70's Show dye her hair blonde this season? She's not nearly as appealing anymore. Trivial, I know, but it bugs me. Go back red, girlfriend!

Oh. Read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon) while I was gym-sleeping in Mississippi last week. Good one. About an autistic. Anybody else read this one?

Back to work. Or looking for NY apartments online. Or verklempting about everything I have to get done before my final move. You get the picture.

4 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

I loved the curious incident. Gave an amazing insight into an autistic mind.

Haven't finished Time Traveler's Wife yet. Can't seem to get into it. I keep dipping into other books in preference. I'll have to make the effort soon as we're due to discuss it at our book group.

Chris said...

I also liked the dog in the night. Am going to do a post very soon about a couple of really, really good books that I've just read so just keep checking on me!!

chux said...

Although I do agree the book was an excellent vision into the autistic mind. I can't say I enjoyed this book much, as with a lot of modern writers I found the story was weak and i didnt have an emotional connection with the characters.
I did however think the thought process the lead character had to go through to make that journey to find his mother was very good.

jomoore said...

I've been meaning to read 'Curious Incident' for ages, and my son came home from school the other day saying his teacher had read some of it out loud in the class and he really enjoyed it. So I suggested we read it together - I began reading out loud, and fortunately managed to self-edit when I came to the first swear word. Failed on the second swear word - oops! Perhaps we'll re-think and stick with Harry Potter!
My most recent 'very good read' was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Excellent!