Monday, November 07, 2005

Does my day job stifle my early-morning writing?

Don't worry, I'm not about to quit my day job. But.

I've spent a lot of time lately writing abstracts for presentation submissions, and I'm beginning to wonder if the style parameters of that are spilling over into my real writing. Writing in a certain format all day long becomes a habit that is difficult for me to break in the 'tween times.

The other side of the argument is that by having clamped-down writing all day, I should positively burst forth with pent-up creativity when I'm off the clock. Would that it were so.

So tell me. Are you stifled or freed when you switch to your creative style from a more exacting one? If you're freed - how do you make the transition without sounding forced?

I know. More tea. Or gin. No, more tea. I'm still at work. Back to those abstracts . . .

No comments: