Friday, January 23, 2009

Thus, I am baffled

I found myself in the midst of a swirling vortex of "Wha -?" all day long. "Wha - ?" you ask? (And can one use two question marks in one sentence?) Yes. Total puzzlement over several little things has grown into one big ball of confusion. For example:

  • When did toothbrushes get so expensive? I'm talking about just the regular, manual kind. A stick of plastic with some bristles on the end. I mean, $3 - $10 for a plain old toothbrush - why? And don't get me started on the toothpaste. Can we ditch Emeril, and go back to the animated Ipana beaver? It was a lot cheaper.

  • Why do credit card companies make the numbers on the card so hard to read? I get that it might be somewhat of a security measure, but when the cardholder can't make out the numbers at all and has to do a crayon rubbing to reveal them, things are out of whack. Or maybe I'm just getting too old to read the numbers.

  • What is it about rich folks that allows them to get away without paying taxes until they are being vetted for some political position? Somehow, I don't think the IRS will buy it if I say, "I forgot."

  • Why do I keep getting ads through the mail for General Motors cars? What on earth would make me want to run out and buy a Cadillac Escalade or Chevy Malibu at this particular point in time?

  • Why do I keep getting ads through the mail for car insurance when I don't own a car (GM or otherwise)?

  • What in the time/space continuum causes a 4-day work week to seem longer than a 5-day work week?
Thus, I am baffled. Wha-?

2 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

I'm with you on this, mary. Life is a puzzlement.

jomoore said...

In these tough times you need to curtail your need for frivolous indulgences like toothbrushes, Mary. Sticks and coaldust will do just as well...

And you should call for a price on that car insurance - I bet you'd get that cheap!