Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I, the jury . . . maybe

I'm finding the jury selection process rather interesting, though not as interesting as the Mickey Spillane poster (not even close). I've never gotten this far in the process, as I'm usually dismissed without so much as a howdy-do. But since I was one of the leftovers not chosen yesterday, my name was called for the first batch o' the day.

Everyone whose name was called crammed into a tiny, airless room, and sat in assigned numbered chairs. About half of the folks came up with a good reason that they couldn't serve on a jury for a case lasting more than a few days. That left the rest of us who couldn't come up with anything more believable than, "I'm too busy for this."

The lawyers for all concerned gave us an overview - but no real details - of the case, then proceeded to question us one by one. Lots of stuff about where we worked and what we did and were our parents alive and so forth. A few people had to go outside of the room for private consultation. It was long. It was hot. And at the end of the day, they hadn't finished with us, so we have to come back tomorrow for more questioning.

Now, I appreciate the process. I mean, all of us would want the very best, most impartial jury if we were on the jury-needing side. My only real complaint here is the small hot room. Seems like they'd put us in a real comfy room, bring us cold or hot drinks, feed us a steak or two. I'd really be more inclined to want to sit on the jury of a lengthy trial if they made me more comfortable. At this rate, I'm a little concerned that the trial (if I get that far) will be in a tiny, hot room. I'm afraid I will be predisposed to find fault with both the plaintiff and the defendants in that case.

I have no idea whether I'll be chosen or not. Who knows what the criteria is? Maybe I'm too Southern. Maybe I'm too Episcopalian. Maybe I'm just too damn smart and cute. (cough. cough.) Still, it's been an interesting procedure.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

UPDATE: Believe it or not I was chosen for the jury. Alas, after 2 1/2 days, they've only managed to seat 4 of us. I have to call in every day to see if I need to report for duty. Then again, maybe they'll settle out of court. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great. I remember Aunt Catherine loved Perry Mason. Seems it aired on Saturday nights either before or after Gunsmoke. I remember too that back room where the TV was located. As you entered from the hallway leading off the kitchen, the TV was to the right next to the back wall. Ya'll also had a window-mounted air conditioner (Fedders, I think) that was too cool. And you doubt my memory of the Moose Head??

MaryB said...

Well, yeah - I appreciate the memories about Perry Mason and the air conditioner. All true (though even I don't remember the brand of the AC). But we really need to get you some therapy about the moosehead thing. I'm assuming it has some kind of childhood trauma implications?