Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ode to My Bed on a Crisp Autumn Morning

O, Bed!
Was there ever such a wondrously comfy place to be
When crispy cool October breezes blow?
Dawn breaks, and I think, Oh, damn!
I must leave your warm embrace
To face the work-day and make some dough.
But wait! Can it be?
It's not a crawl-out-of-bed day at all!
'Tis Saturday, you fool! No need to arise.
Burrowing deeper into the featherbed,
I pull the sheets tighter 'round,
Stretch my toes, say a prayer of thanks,
And close my eyes.
Again.

O, Bed! Was there ever such a wondrously comfy place to be
When crispy cool October breezes blow?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ne're would I leave your warm embrace, save to pee, save to pee. Alas, warm trickles and pools do not for comfort make.

Elsie said...

'Tis Saturday, you fool! Arise -- take your child to his lessons.

Alas, Mary, this is what I hear on a crisp autumn morning. Maybe in a few years....

Liz Hinds said...

Amen to that, Mary. I love my bed - sometimes I fear my attachment to it is too great. And then I think: what the heck.

MaryB said...

Winston and Elsie - Yes, I'm lucky to be at that in-between age: no kids to get to early morning soccer games and yet to hit the "gotta-pee" stage!

Liz - Yes! What the heck - I believe it's just another little gift from God.