Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Don't Let Me See You Dancing on TV

Flipping through the channels last night, I passed through a couple of the PBS stations doing those Motown 60s Retro concert things. Those shows just embarrass the hell out of me - not because of the aging performers clinging to their moments of fame (hey, they gotta make a livin'), but the shots of the audience swaying and singing and jumping around to the music.

Let me be brutal - this audience is not a pretty sight. They're too old to be caught in public (not to mention spread across national TV) doing these things - they're dressed like old people, they move like old people. It makes me sad to see 'em. And yes, I know I'm talkin' 'bout my generation, but it just sends a chill up my spine to see this kind of thing. I'm not advocating hiding under a rock once you reach a certain age - nobody likes to dance and party more than I do - just don't do it front of television cameras. Ye gods! Goodness knows, we have enough to humiliating things over which we have no control - no need to publicly humiliate a whole generation by choice.

I know. I'm so petty.

Oh - ran across a great article from The Wall Street Journal about changing careers that doesn't completely focus on people under 30. Of course the best ideas come from people who've managed to make a change. Several first-hand stories can be found in this article on the Third Age website. Feel free to comment and add suggestions.

No comments: