Sunday, June 25, 2006

Just a run-of-the-mill Saturday afternoon in New York

It was pouring rain here yesterday, so I decided to catch one of the last performances of Clifford Odets' "Awake and Sing!" at the Belasco Theatre (it closes today). What a treat - sitting 12 rows back, center orchestra, watching the likes of Ben Gazzara, Zoe Wannamaker, Mark Ruffalo, and Lauren Ambrose do sweet justice to this classic. All performances outstanding - I do love Zoe Wannamaker. Not sure what I think about the device of taking away parts of the set as the play progressed - I get what was being conveyed, but, hm. Lovely old theatre, classic play and performances, a wet Saturday afternoon - yum!

What I did discover about myself is that I'm extremely impatient with tourists! Yikes! I don't deal with 'em much on the Upper East Side, or even in my work-a-day life, since they seem to congregate around Times Square and the Theatre District. Just keep moving, people! Geez! Uh-oh - I wonder if there's a 12-step program for this creeping tourist-phobia of mine? It'd be something if the rudest person in New York came from Atlanta! I promise to work on that. Promise.

No comments: