Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Expect the Unexpected

Does this phrase bother anybody else? Everytime it flashes across the TV screen or I see it in print, I wonder what it really means.

If you expect the unexpected and the "expected" happens, is that considered "unexpected"? Contrarywise, if you expect the unexpected and the "unexpected" happens, wouldn't that be "expected"? So, what's the point?

Am I over-analyzing this? Do I need to have a gin and tonic and stop asking myself stupid questions? And would that be "expected" or "unexpected" (if you're expecting the unexpected from me)?

4 comments:

Christa said...

From the sound of it, you could use 2 gin and tonic I think...LOL
But you're right. It's a sentence that makes no sense at all ;)

jomoore said...

Just like "cheap at half the price". I've never understood that - of course it's cheap if it's half price...! Am I missing something?

It's thinking too deeply about this kind of stuff that probably leaves you with unexpected bruising! ;)

petercmoore said...

I usually find that when I'm trying to "expect the unexpected" I find that nothing whatsoever happens, which catches me completely by surprise. Except that it doesn't because that's what usually happens.

I think.

"You can't have your cake and eat it". That's a phrase that I didn't understand for YEARS. "Of course you can", I thought, "how can you eat a cake that you don't have in the first place?" Then someone explained it to me. I still think I was right though.

MaryB said...

OK. A round of drinks for all of us, I think!