Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Not as respected as Harry Potter at Gringott's

Banks are just impossible these days. I've had to do a lot of funds-cashing, funds-shifting the past few weeks involving several different banks (only one of which is my own). So, here's my bank-rant-post. Feel free to add your own bank-stewings:
  1. Explain to me, please, why I have to pay a fee to cash a check on YOUR bank made out to me by one of YOUR customers. So I'm not one of your customers - what does that matter? I'm sure the customer who wrote the check pays enough bank fees to cover the precious time it takes to dole out $$ from his/her account.
  2. When I present a real, live US passport as a form of ID, why do you also want to see a second form, like a Georgia Driver's License? If the passport's good enough for the armed guards in the airport in Rome, should it not be enough for you?
  3. And speaking of ridiculous fees for people who aren't YOUR bank customers (things like "standing at our counter" fees, "using our pen" fees, "putting your feet on our carpet" fees), why on earth would I ever want to switch my accounts to your bank if you treat an outsider with legitimate business like steaming dog poo? Fugitahbahtit!
  4. Is it really necessary to call over two other tellers plus the manager to confab about cashing a perfectly good check written to me (and with an infinite number of forms of ID) on YOUR bank? Do I look shifty? OK, the passport picture and the driver's license pictures aren't the greatest, but really!

OK, your turn.

Back to NYC tomorrow to - God willing - seal the apartment deal. Will let you know how everything works out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other one that drives me to distraction is the "new improved super duper deluxe premier preferred account" that only requires you keep a minimum balance of $200 gazillion to avoid fees. The alternative is an account that allows 3 deposits and 3 checks a month or they take your first-born plus pull the mortgage on your house.

Banks have totally lost it. Just a few years ago they were highly respected. Now their image is right up there with used car sales. As a species, they have no clue what customer service means.

Anonymous said...

Ever consider trying a credit union? Their customer service is far superior to most banks. Just be sure that they have Federal insurance (NCUA), not just state or you could potentially find yourself in trouble.

Best of luck with the apartment.

MaryB said...

Right you are, Winston. Charged out the wazoo for everything unless you're a millionaire!

Anon, it wasn't really my own bank I was having trouble with - it was banks of which I am not a customer, though I'm sure my own bank is just as big a pain as the others to non-customers. I do have a credit union account that I used for years, it was just inconvenient - not many locations, etc.