Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mysteries of the Anything Drawer

Everybody has one. An anything-drawer that serves as a repository for all sorts of odds and ends. Rubber bands, restaurant delivery menus, old pill bottles, drinking straws, thumbtacks - well, you know what I'm talking about, because you have one (or two), too.

The anything-drawer is almost always located in the kitchen. I know this because not only has it always been in every house and apartment kitchen I've habitated, but I've noticed that's where other folks have theirs, too. (I find this out while snooping through their homes - nah, just kidding. Or am I??) Wonder why that is? Oh, sure, the drawer may hold aluminum foil, sandwich bags, and those little twist-ties. But not everything in the drawer is kitchen-related. In fact, most of what's in there is a mix-up of school supplies, a medicine cabinet, old sock drawer, tool chest, and photo album.

The whole anything-vortex is a mystery. I mean, all of these drawers start out perfectly empty and bare. Yet, they don't become storage for silverware, cloth napkins, or stationery. No. Stuff just grows in there. Odd. How many little packets of soy sauce and Chinese mustard must I hoard? Why can't I throw away invitations and thank-you notes - or whatever I temporarily magnetize to my fridge - instead of sticking them in the anything-drawer? What's a normal number of restaurant take out/delivery menus? 8? 14? 274?

Oh, don't look so smug. You know you have an anything-drawer, too. Just curious, though. How many little packets of soy sauce do you have in yours?

2 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Yep, I have more than one 'anything drawer,'...and they're in my kitchen. I cleaned out the soy sauce packets a while ago, but they were mounting up. I had to make more than one drawer because I just had too much of 'anything.' I have so much 'anything' in fact that a have a couple of drawers upstairs too. You are so funny Mary. Happy weekend sweetie... ~Joy

MaryB said...

Joy: Oh, yeah. I think if we're all honest, we'll admit to more than one anything-drawer!