Saturday, January 08, 2011

Shorty's Sense of Snow

Folks either love it or hate it. There is no middle ground. Snow brings out the cheerleader or the protester in people.

Me? Oh, honey, I'm leading the band marching out in front of the cheerleaders. I. Love. Snow. Love it. Can't get enough November through February.

Snowfall is always thrilling to me. I'm sure it harks back to the childhood anticipation of no-school "snow days" and the chance to spend a day or two rolling around in the cold, white stuff. Time was spent alternately freezing as we played outside and warming up with hot chocolate and Campbell's Soup once we were back in the house. Back and forth, back and forth. Freezing, warm. Freezing, warm. There's something so energizing and comforting in the process.

Then again, I don't hate cold weather like some folks do. I love the freshness of it. Even in a big city, the air seems brighter and more appealing than the stale, damp awfulness of summer heat. It's the one time of year that I'm comfortable with the temperature. For most people 98.6 is normal; for me, it's 99.4 (just ask my doctor and the Red Cross). Since I naturally run hotter than the rest of the population, I welcome a good thermometer plunge. 

I have more creative energy in winter. Maybe it's the sharpness of the air outside that wakes up lethargic brain cells. Maybe it's permission from the weather-gods to spend time inside and dream outrageously. Maybe it's that soups, stews, and hot chocolate inspire me more than sterile green salads. Whatever.

Once February's over and the calendar says March? My snow-love is put away until November. But right now my calendar says January.

So, shake those flakes from the clouds. Paint bare tree branches with a layer of white. Give me something to scrunch my boots through. Offer me the chance (even at my advanced age) to make snow angels, snowballs, and snowmen. Inspire me. Delight me.

Let it snow.

5 comments:

jcburns said...

I'm just glad a lady of the south can adapt to the white stuff I grew up with. Then again, since you've really only lived car-free in nyc, you probably didn't have much experience with the gritty day-to-day reality of snow+cars...that dirty sludgy stuff, those pools of melted snow on the floorboards, the driveway cleaning. Ah, the delights you've missed.

MaryB said...

Exactly, JC. I freely admit that one can delight in snow more when one doesn't have to drive in it or shovel it off of anything. (I do live with the gray slush, though. Just a minor downside to the glory of the white stuff.)

Liz Hinds said...

driving in snow isn't fun I agree. But it does look so lovely!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm caught in the middle....and for someone who lives in the midwest where SNOW is a frequent visitor, that's a difficult place to be. I've always loved snow...especially the beauty of it. However, as I've gotten older I've lost a little love for the white fluffy stuff when it comes to shoveling it to get around in...and driving in it when it's bad. Other than that...YEAH, I love it. ~Joy

Anonymous said...

Been trapped for four days in the mountains of N. Georgia. For the most part it has been great! Never lost power. Had satellite TV, internet, stacks of books, plenty of food, and heat. All that being said if I had not been able to get off this hill today I fear there would have been a "Shining II."
Bro.