Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pride of Place

Confession: I'm a "place" snob. At least where book and movie locations are concerned. I don't care how fine the reviews or recommendations, if the setting doesn't, er, sit with me, I just can't get comfortable with it - like the whole feng shui is off. Even when I attempt to overcome my prejudice and plug in to something outside my comfort zone, I don't get very far. I get sort of itchy and unsettled, like I've forgotten something important or I'm coming down with a cold.

My place-snob list? East Coast and Deep South (and, occasionally, San Francisco) in the U.S., England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland, all of Europe, China but not Japan (go figure), Africa but not Middle East, Australia but not Canada (what's with that?), South America but not Central America (what?). Crazy, I know. No rhyme or reason, but there it is.

Yeah, there's probably some kind of psychiatric term for my weirdness. I proudly own my pathology. It is kinda crazy to be more concerned about setting than plot, though I do demand a good plot, as well, once it's in the right location. But at this stage of my life, I can live with my craziness.

Now, don't get me started on historical periods . . .

No comments: