Saturday, May 22, 2010

New York Minute: Of Coffee Cups, Sidewalks, and Baseball

New York City is full of news. All the time. And it's not all Fashion Week, Met Openings, Broadway Premieres, or Times Square bomb threats. Stick with me, kid, and I'll keep you in the loop. Here's the latest.

New York lost the creator of a city icon recently. Leslie Buck, designer of the Anthora coffee cup died a couple of weeks ago. Way before Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts decided that coffee was a big deal, Mr Buck created disposable, distinctive Greek-themed coffee cups for the ubiquitous imbibation sold at delis, coffee shops, and street carts. Grab 'em while you can, but you must shun Starbucks, et. al., to get them. Or, stop by any gift shop and get a replica in ceramic. I don't like coffee, but I love the cup. Cheers, Mr. Buck!

The other day someone drew a line down a portion of 5th Avenue's sidewalk, dividing it between "New Yorkers" and "Visitors." A little art project, so think most folks, but it did spur lots of press coverage and discussion amongst the people. The point of the whole project was to create a fast lane for those of us walking at the speed of light and give folks who want to stop suddenly, take pictures, look around, get lost, etc., a place to do that without causing a major pedestrian pile-up. While acknowledging the importance of, even loving, NYC tourists,  those of us trying to get from point A to point B sorta like the idea of a speed line for workin' folks. Alas, the line is gone now. Fun while it lasted.

The weekend's biggest brou-ha-ha is the ever-popular subway series, pitting the New York Mets against the New York Yankees. Yes, a city divided. If I was a bettin' girl, I'l lay down bucks on the Yanks to sweep (they won last night), but as an Atlanta Braves fan, I really don't care who wins the subway series. It's best to avoid any baseball talk for the next few days because fan-egos are fragile (or explosive) here. Fortunately, a temporary cease-fire will be signed by Monday so that New Yorkers can function productively. At least until the next subway series.

So now you're in the New York loop. Go ahead, walk on the New York side of the sidewalk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So which lane did you walk in?

Joy Des Jardins said...

I've watched a little of the baseball games between the Mets and the Yankees...Mets are kinda hurtin' right now; but those two teams have some pretty staunch fans which I'm sure make the games there interesting.

I can't believe someone actually drew that line down 5th Ave. It kind of makes sense as YOU explain it; but leave it to those hustling and bustling New Yorkers to do that. Crazy...but funny....

MaryB said...

Richard - what do you think? When in NYC, I'm a New Yorker. I always "pull over" if I get the urge to take a picture or check my Blackberry and I never stop stock still at the bottom or top of elevators.

Joy - You're from the other town with two baseball teams. How does it work for the Cubs and White Sox? Is it as ruthless as between the Yanks and Mets? I can't even imagine what it was like here in the days of the Dodgers!