Monday, May 05, 2008

O fractious day! Callooh! Callay!

It wasn't a frabjous day. Nor was it brillig with slithy toves gyring and gimbling. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, get thee swiftly to a copy of "Jabberwocky.")

No, it was a fractious day. Ever have one o' dem? I just woke up lookin' for a fight. Why is that, I wonder?

Fortunately for me (and my job), I realized early on that I was going to be a sarcastic, irritated, impatient smart-ass all day, so I hid in my office and tried to avoid all human contact. Pretty hard when one works at the headquarters of religious denomination. I tried asking myself, "What would Jesus do?," but I think he'd a-been fractious, too.

The good news is that I didn't slap anyone or send out a bunch of pithy emails. No, I truly behaved myself. I knew I was dangerous and took the proper steps to contain my (potentially) dangerous behavior.

Now I'm home, having weathered the fractiousness of the day. The gin and tonic's helping, I can testify. Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a big Hoowee to you too. Maybe you've done this one before, but could you do something on Spoolies and Noxema just to get me caught up?

Love, ME

Liz Hinds said...

Congratulations, Mary! What a wise woman you are. Hope the rest of the week is less fractious. (Or by Friday you could be sending rude emails to the Pope!)

MaryB said...

Anon - I'm currently working on volune one of "The Spoolies Chronicles," a trilogy in tribute to the little hair horrors. You'll just have to wait until the book comes out. :-)

Liz - Lord, don't throw the Pope at me! No tellin' what sort of religious wars I could start over that. (I was much nicer today, BTW)