Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'm not lost. I'm just in Seattle.

At a conference. I was whisked away amidst the big fruit-basket-turnover office move in New York, so I guess I'm missing all the "fun" there. Haven't seen much of Seattle, though I can see the Space Needle from my hotel window. How cool is that? And we had a reception/dinner at the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture last night. The exhibits on various Pacific cultures was particularly interesting - all those Maori markings and island masks.

With the exception of the pleasant NYC break with Lil Sis last week (Was is just last week? Seems like a month ago.), it's been all work, work, work. My plate is overflowing, but I'm slowly consuming or tossing whatever's there.

Liz! I dreamed about you last night. How weird is that? You were singing Welsh songs, and we were on a train. Hmm.

The news of the world is passing me by, which I suspect is not a bad thing. I'm pretty much fed up with things economically, politically, and socially. Anyone else tired of hearing the blah-blah-blah of newscasters and politicians? I'm in deep news-fatigue, I suppose. The only remedy is a good book or Turner Classic Movies 24/7. Wake me when it's over.

Another observation - it's hard to stay on my WeightWatchers regime when I travel. I watch my food portions, but airports and conferences just don't cater to the anti-junkfood crowd. Sigh.

My mantra for the day: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." (Groucho Marx)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the Groucho quote.

My favorite:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

Have fun in Seattle. Don't drink that OVERPRICED coffee, it will kill you.
Bro.

MaryB said...

Well, as you know, Bro, I'm no coffee drinker, so that whole aspect of Seattle blew right past me. I stuck with eating fish!

Elsie said...

Ah, Seattle. One of my favorite places, though I haven't been there in years. A friend used to live on Vashon Island, and we had lots of fun -- too much? -- in Seattle. Too bad I didn't like salmon. I hope you have a chance to get out and about to enjoy all that Seattle has to offer. Have fun!

Liz Hinds said...

I always sing Welsh songs when I'm on trains. It stops anyone sitting by me.

You lead such an exciting life, mary!

I never did manage to sex a fruit fly.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I've never been to Seattle Mary; but everyone who has lived there always talk about the RAIN. True? And of course....all the coffee....everywhere. I actually know quite a few people living there. Take care Miss Traveler...