Saturday, November 11, 2006

Found!

In Scotland, not Barbados.

Thanks to the internet and BT, I tracked down the phone number of Jeannie and Aubrey's daughter in Aberdeen, and guess who answered the phone? Jeannie her-own-self. We both had a weepy moment, with me jabbering "What's happened? I couldn't find you! What happened to the house?" and her rattling off "We left so fast! I didn't have your new address and lost your email address! I've been worried sick about how to reach you!" and so forth.

The short version is that Aubrey's health began deteriorating (he has cancer) and they weren't getting the medical care they needed in high-tone Surrey, so Daughter arranged things for them in Scotland. It was quickly decided to sell the house in Walton (after 33 years) and get a cottage near the family in Aberdeen so that Jeannie wouldn't have to do all the nursing duties.

Jeannie said they left the house very quickly - in fact all of her stuff is still inside. Daughter and hubbie are going down to clear it out this weekend, since the buyers want to move in Dec. 1. Said it broke their hearts to leave it - it was home, after all - but at their age and with Aub's health, they just had to cut it loose.

At any rate, all is as well as it can be, considering Aubrey's problems, and we've found each other again. That's the important thing. That's the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket.

So no more Walton. Guess Aberdeen will be my new stomping grounds (except when I need to link up with the Moore clan!).

7 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Well, I'm sure you're relieved Mary. I'm so happy you found out where they were, and why. There's always change, isn't there? But, you're right...the best part is knowing they're alright...and not lost to you.

MaryB said...

You're absolutely right, Joy. Change, yes, but at least I know where they are and what happened, thanks be to God!

petercmoore said...

I'm glad! It's been one of those niggling, back-of-the-brain sort of worries for the past couple of weeks.

Very happy you're all back in touch!

Liz Hinds said...

I'm so glad you've found your other mother again, Mary.

Peter (the other) said...

Schwew! (and echoing the others).

Elsie said...

Wonderful!

MaryB said...

Thanks, all. It was a troubling couple of weeks, but now that we've found each other again, we can relax.