Thursday, July 27, 2006

Off to the land of Dickinson

Conference in Amherst, Massachusetts, don'cha know. Not sure if my conference digs (or schedule, for that matter) will allow me to post. So I'll leave you with the only line from Emily Dickinson that I can pull off the top of my head: "Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me . . ." Eewww. OK. Erase that. There's another one that goes something like: "just cuz I ain't never seen no ocean, don't mean it ain't there." Only she said it better, I think. Off to Penn Station for a nice little train ride . . . Toodles! (That's Gidget, not Dickinson.)

(And as usual, when I'm in a hurry, Blogger refuses to cooperate on posting a picture. Sigh. Somebody throttle them while I'm gone, OK?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, as I read Brother Bill's response, I dropped him a quick note that I recall...."Flower in the crannied wall, I pluck you out of the crannies..." one short poem but still required and read in junior English (American Literature). Some things we don't forget...and all our English teachers would be proud! Speaking as an old English teacher, I KNOW this is true! I read your blog daily and enjoy it immensely. Va. Branum

MaryB said...

Yes, yes - I do remember the fly buzzing thing and the flower/crannies. Of course all that AmLit hangs in the old brain, Virginia! (You knew that, though, didn't you?)

But it wasn't Miss Smallwood who taught me Dickinson, Bro - I had Smallwood for English Lit. (Don't tell me you missed the chance to recite "How do I love, thee? Let me count the ways," to dear Arminda!) Still, we obviously all had a first class education to be able to quote a variety of poems at this age.