Sure, it comes right after the golden triangle of binge-eating, October-November-December, but this bleak year-startin' month requires power-comfort-food eating just to make it through the day (which looks a lot like the night).
Now unlike most folks, I actually like winter because it gives me an excuse to sit by the fire and read or work on my book or take little dog-naps (sorry, no cat-naps - we're a dog family). But sitting by the fire is not conducive to eating a bowlful of salad greens and wheat germ. No, it's about 1950's hot, white, cheesy food - gooey, starchy confections alternated with salty, crunchy tid-bits. And a piece o' chocolate every now and then.
OK, pretend it's cold and bleak outside, the sky a lovely shade of battleship gray (not much of a stretch of the imagination, granted). So, what'll ya' have? My fireside-sitting must haves include:
- cheese grits (it's a Southern-thang)
- grilled cheese sandwich
- spaghetti and chili with cheese
- hot oatmeal slathered in butter and brown sugar
- nachos (ratio of cheese to chips: 25/1 + jalepenos, natch)
- more cheese (cubed, sliced - preferably with slices of summer sausage)
- tea (OK that's not bad for me, but I gotta have it)
What's on your comfort food list?