Friday, January 13, 2006

Better than we expected: sex after 50

Sex, sex, sex. That's what it's all about for those of us hot-mama-chicas over 50, according to the New York Times today. Seems a ba-zillion books will soon be flooding the market about the Can't-Get-Enough generation of women liberated by the Pill and feminism.

Books by Gail Sheehy (Sex and the Seasoned Woman), Joan Price (Better Than I Expected: Straight Talk About Sex After Sixty - great title!), and a host of others tout the glories of experience and brains of older women in the bedroom department. And movies like "Something's Got to Give" and "The Swimming Pool" are presenting older women as flesh and blood sexual creatures.

Of course, all this sex may not appeal to everyone. But that's fine, too. Do it. Don't do it. Whatever. It's just nice that society's finally catching up to the fact that women don't turn into dried up crones past a certain age.

So it seems my future as a bad girl (see previous post) could be very bright. Hmmm.

(And by the way, don't we miss Ann Bancroft?)

7 comments:

Christa said...

Ann Bancroft had a style and class that goes beyond most acters. I really liked her and I wasn't even aware of that she was gone until fairly recently.

As for sex after 50 I believe there's sex after 60 and 70 too if we know how to take care of ourselves ;)
The problem is that we never age the way men do and tend to get unattractive when we reach our 60 or 70...at least if you ask the opposite sex. Men gets dignified with age - women just gets old.
It's a shame.

MaryB said...

And to think she was married to Mel Brooks. Must've been a fabulous ride for both of them!

As for women looking old/men looking dignified - I've never seen that as true. My mother and her sisters were gorgeous and dignified into their 80s. Daddy, who was dignified, always looked older that Mother, even though he was four years younger. And when I look at my own peer group (plus the next one up), most all the women look great (I give credit to the Crest toothpaste and hot rollers of our younger days, plus maintaining some kind of exercise program) - but the guys, hm, not so much. ;-)

It'll be interesting to see how the next 30-40 years play out!

Oh, the times they are a'changin'.

Unknown said...

I've always tended to think that men become 'dignified' with age and women .... mmmm .... don't.

Now I find I am attracted to older women, even some Grandmas. Which is a good thing of course as I'm a grandfather myself. There is therefore no doubt that there are attractive older women out there !

I am however spoken for ... my partner being ten years younger than me !

MaryB said...

Well, darn, Charlie. That's one more Wildgoose that got away! ;-)

Unknown said...

We may get chased but we rarely get caught ... though we're rarely chaste of course.

Joan Price said...

Thanks for mentioning my book, Better Than I Expected: Straight Talk About Sex After Sixty! Glad you like the title -- you'd like the whole book as much, I'll bet.

I'd like to invite you and your readers to hop on over to my blog, where we're talking about sex and aging and the many ramifications -- being older and single, sex after cancer, tips for hot sex after 60, and many more.

thanks again,

Joan Price

Joan Price said...

Whoops, thought I was clicking "preview," not "publish." I meant to add this:

Join us -- we're talking about ageless sexuality at http://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com