Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Over the river and through the woods

OK, not really - I stay put and everyone else has to travel over the river, etc. to me.

Crunch time is upon us - food needs a-fixin', paint supplies need to be put away and everything put back in order, the family china needs to be sorted and readied for the big day. Well, I have a two-page typed To-Do list and I need to get crackin'. I've hired young Joanna to help me out for a couple of hours this afternoon (hey, I'm paying her, so it's not like it's child labor, and anyway, she's very good at nit-picky stuff).

But before I start my pre-feast frenzy, a few "Thanks be to God" highlights:
  • Daughter Kate - independent, self-sufficient, hard-working, fun-loving, good to her mama
  • The continued health of those I love, and my own good health
  • A good job, a roof over my head, enough (often too much) food and other necessities, plus a lot of extras that make life more comfortable
  • A loving, supportive family - sister, brother, cousins, nieces, nephews, in-laws, out-laws, and those who went before - who helped growing up fun and safe and who are helping getting older fun and safe, as well
  • Good news that the 2-year lawsuit surrounding a traffic accident will be settled before Christmas (fingers-crossed) and I'll finally get restitution for the physical and financial crisis it put me through
  • Friends, old and new, because they add the spice to life, really
  • All of the over-worked, full-hearted volunteers who continue to help with the victims of all the world's natural and man-made disasters this year, particularly those helping in the New Orleans/Gulf Coast area - you are our heroes.
  • Good books, a comfortable bed, and a creative spirit
OK, that's the short list. I'll cut it off before it gets too sappy (yeah, yeah - too late, I know).

For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving - have a wonderful, yummy day tomorrow. For those of you who'll be living the popular British film "Thursday We Went to Work as Usual," thanks for sending us your pilgrims so that we could gather with friends and family for a scrumptious meal 385 years later. Cheers, and thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good looking pet turkey. You take it out for a walk often? Or maybe the pic was his/her last stroll. Dead man...er, turkey...walking.

Have a bountiful feast!

MaryB said...

Yes - and don't I look remarkably like a young Marlo Thomas? Dead turkey walking, indeed.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Winston!