Friday, November 11, 2005

Hour, day, and month


At 11:00:00 on 11/11/1918, this particular madness came to an end. I'm sure the guys in the trenches thought it would still be going on in 1950, as in this Bruce Bairnsfather cartoon.

You can find my World War I reading list here, though I left off Tommy by Richard Holmes and the book I'm currently reading, 1914 by Lyn MacDonald.

Honoring Walter Wildgoose, 1st Lincolnshire (1908-1915, 1921-1930) and Machine Gun Corps (1915-1821).

In memory of Herbert (Bert) Eustace Wildgoose (1889-1915) who died at the Battle of Aubers Ridge 9 Mary 1915.

Just couldn't let the day, month, hour go by without remembering. I know Wilfred Owen's famous "Dulce et Decorum est" is considered cliche now (though how it could be, I'll never understand), but I'll close this with the final lines of the poem"

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin,
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs
Bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
--My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

(Dulce et Decorum est: The phrase "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" is a Latin phrase from Horace, and translates literally something like "Sweet and proper it is for your country (fatherland) to die." The poem was originally intended to be addressed to an author who had written war poems for children)

No comments: