Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pulling the words out of my head

Boy, it's been tough trying to be creative in my writing lately. I just don't seem to be in the right spot or something. I bet I've made three or four starts on an article (due yesterday) for my parish magazine and the same number of starts on a new story I'm writing. I think I have it, then - whoa! - where'd it go? Just slides right out of my ears and evaporates as it hits the air.

Normally, the writing is a head/heart collaboration, ticking back and forth between the two fairly seamlessly. But my heart ain't pullin' its weight right now, so the brain - already overloaded with big chunks of important data and even more fluffy-linty useless stupid stuff - is puffing along trying to squeeze out at least three meaningful sentences in succession.

The simple act of putting words - any words - to paper often helps break the log-jam, so I'm running off at the blog right now, hoping something pushes through. If that doesn't work, I'll end up writing perfectly acceptable, but sorta sterile, stuff - not in my usual style. Sigh. And I do hate that because then it's out there in print, a tangible reminder from now until eternity that ol' Mary's writing just wasnt' up to snuff in October 2005.

Maybe the rain will help. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: