Saturday, October 15, 2005

Brain power, naughty Samantha, and coming in from the cold

I think news of studies that show workers' IQ levels rise and fall throughout the day comes as no surprise to any of us. I know my IQ spikes and plummets by the minute. CNN and CareerBuilder offer six ways to keep sharp during a harried work day, including: stop checking email/phonemail messages continually; get plenty of sleep (at night, I assume they mean - not at your desk); eat your brain food; get some exercise; keep your brain nimble with puzzles or a new hobby; and last - but so often - sadly - least, "think positive, loving thoughts."

Uh-oh. First DisneyWorld, now Samantha, Molly, and Felicity. Conservative activists are calling for a boycott of the very popular American Girl dolls because of the company's "I Can" wristband campaign that supports Girls, Inc. - an organization founded in 1864. The mission of Girls, Inc. is "inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold," and this includes a woman's right to make decisions for and about herself. Conservatives see this as these wonderful (but pricey) dolls supporting rampant abortion and lesbianism. Oh, dear. I know American Girl is quaking in their little high-button shoes since crowds still pour into the conservative-boycotted Disney theme parks.

Got a headache? Stick a pin in. A new study shows that acupuncture is more effective for headaches than pills. That's kinda cool. I've never had acupunture, but I can see where it might be a successful treatment for some ailments.

Now, James Bond has nothing on you. Britain's super-duper uber-hush-hush Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) has hit the Web, according the New York Times. It seems the point of the thing is to recruit a broader range of agents and operatives. Oooh. My next career . . .

And now, off to give a little polish to the furniture before taking my young friend Joanna to Wallace and Gromit. Grab your Saturday clothes and get crackin'!

No comments: