Friday, October 28, 2005

Before my first cuppa tea

Yeah, I know it's late in the day for my first swallow of the amber elixer, but my flight was an hour and a half late getting into Atlanta from Vancouver last night and I'm taking it slow this morning. The kettle's on, so it won't be long. I'll get in to the office, later. Honest.

Speaking of tea, some enterprising feller sold a nice cup of tea on eBay recently for £12.50, can you believe. That's, what - not up on my exchange rate today - around $18-20 maybe? Anyway, the guy got 11 bids and is trying to figure out a way to deliver the goods.

Newspaper peeves: A month or so ago the New York Times put some of its features behind a subscription-paying wall, including its editorial writers. It's called TimesSelect, and what's in there is exactly the stuff I wouldn't pay for! I did get an email yesterday offering a free-trial of TS. So, Dowd and Brooks and Friedman, et. al. how's that workin' for ya' - having your bean-counters cut you off from a sizable portion of your readership? (Of course, most of the editorial writers are syndicated in other papers for free, so the point . . .?)

Also - and this has to be said - the Washington Post has the worst Letters to the Editor of any newspaper. Ever. Period. It's as though the paper's readers are completely oblivious to what's happening in the world. There are never any letters about major national and international goings-on (rarely, anyway). Now, this may be because they're fed up with news since they live in the nation's capital, I just don't know. But the LTTE writers in WDC only comment on things from the Food section or Metro section or crossword puzzle page. Maybe the paper's blow-hard editorial writers put the kabosh on anything meaningful outta the pens of the masses. Hmm.

Kettle's boiling. I'm home, people! Home!

No comments: