Sunday, October 15, 2006

Great Read. . .

. . . In the Park. And a beautiful autumn day, to boot. Bryant Park behind the New York Public Library was the scene of author panels, interviews, reading, and signings today. I just wandered around from area to area, and look who I found!

James Ellroy (the bald guy on the right in the picture), author of lots of books, most notably The Black Dahlia and LA Confidential held court in the Blue Tent. (The tent was actually white, but it was called the Blue Tent. Go figure.) I was pretty up-close and personal, but had to stand. Anyway, Ellroy - a real right-winger, by the way - claims not to have a TV or computer, doesn't read books, and never sees movies. I'm always skeptical when I hear folks brag about such things. No wonder he has to set all his books in the past; he seems pretty clueless about the here and now. However, he does write LA/noir/crime humdingers.

Ann Brashares, who writes the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series for kids, read from a couple of her books on the Target Main Stage. Gosh, she's young - doesn't she seem young? I haven't read any of her books, but I did see the film of Sisterhood with young buddy Joanna.

OOh! And look who else was there. Live and in person. Know who it is? Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma read from their latest book, The Great American Mousical, about a mouse who saves a Broadway musical. They also answered questions from lots of little kids in the audience - such good-natured patience, believe me! Wish I'd thought ahead and bought the book to stick under their noses at the "signing booth." Alas, the line of hopeful autograph-seekers wrapped around the park a couple of times. Wonder if Julie and Emma autographed for everybody that was waiting? If so, they're probably still slaving away.

Great Read in the Park - and all for free. Woo-wee!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaahhh... one of the real advantages of life in the city. We have such events around Nashville also, but not the big names your adventure uncovered. Enjoy all of it you can...

Elsie said...

Julie Andrews is and always has been my favorite, ever since Mary Poppins when I was five years old. I think I've seen everything she's ever been in. And now, the next generation loves her (and me too) as the nanny in Eloise movies or the Queen in Princess Diaries(or as an author of kids' books). Talk about longevity. Long may be reign!

Elsie said...

Ooops. Long may SHE reign. And...I meant to say that I love her, too, in the next generation of movies -- not that the next generation loves me (though I hope they do). You know what I mean. It's too early for proper brain function this a.m.

Liz Hinds said...

Now did you post, Mary, on what Julie Andrews sang at some event - a geriatric version of one of her famous numbers - or was it in an email I received?

If it was an email, I'll post it on my blog.

But what a fantastic event!

MaryB said...

Winston, I'm doing my best - hitting the high spots - especially the free ones.

Elsie, Julie Andrews has long been a favorite of mine, too, and Mary Poppins will forever reign at the top of my movie list - for lots of reasons. (I'm not even bothered by Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent - his dancing and lovability make up for it.) So it was great to see Jules in person. I saw her 10 or so years ago in Victor/Victoria on Broadway.

Liz, Julie didn't sing yesterday - she read - but yes, I did mention somewhere that one of the songs we sang for a golden wedding anniversary party last month was lifted (with some changes)from a parody of "My Favorite Things" that Julie Andrews sang a few years ago. If you're interested, I'll try to dig it out for you. It's pretty funny - all about dentures and laxatives and breaking hips.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, that's the one, Mary. I think someone must have emailed it to me because it was quite recently that I read it.