Monday, October 22, 2007

How I Spent My Un-Birthday

Yesterday (October 21st) was my half-birthday, or as I like to call it, my un-birthday, as they say in Alice in Wonderland. It was a gorgeous day in New York. I did some indoor things and some outdoor things. A very merry un-birthday, it was.

While tidying the apartment yesterday morning, I managed to pack in a couple of Vincent Price goodies, The Abominable Dr. Phibes (really campy - a hoot of a "horror" film) and The House of Usher. The House of Usher brings back all sorts of scary memories, as I recall being terrified of the television ads for the movie when I was a kid. Anything to do with being buried alive has always scared me to death (well, not quite death).

I walked Bailey several times. The trees in Central Park are just going golden. Next weekend should be lovely.

Late in the afternoon, I attended a benefit concert for the Jubilee Youth Chorale from Church of Our Savior, a predominantly Chinese congregation on Henry Street. The concert was held at St. Mark's in the Bowery, which I mentioned last month in my S'mac and Ice Cream post. This was the fourth or fifth time I'd heard the chorale in concert, and they just get better and better, singing everything from Dvorak to spirituals to traditional Chinese songs. The group will be singing at the Vatican on December 30. Plus, they're cutie-pies.

After the concert I strolled down Stuyvesant Street on a lovely evening, then hopped the #6 toward home. A very merry un-birthday toooooooooo meeeeeeeee!

No comments: