Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pocket Lint

Odds and ends. Bits and bobs. Stuff and nonsense. Pestering little gnats flying around in my head. This is as good a place as any to get rid of it.
  • Having finished The Shadow of the Wind (great book - thanks for the recommendation, Liz!), I'm in a duel-book situation right now, reading both Marley and Me and Balzac and The Little Chinese Seamstress at break-neck speeds. Somehow I picked up both the other afternoon, just to get a taste, and wham! - got sucked into both. So, it's back and forth for me for a couple of days. Both books will be finished tonight, I suspect. Ever do that? Always do that?
  • No Emmy nomination for Hugh Laurie? An outrage! A whack on Emmy's head with Gregory House's cane!
  • Since all TV is re-runs right now, except for some incredibly inane reality shows (giving "inane" a bad name, even), I've been indulging in Ovation. I love getting the backstory on masterpieces of art and music, or falling right into a Petula Clark retrospective. (Is "Downtown" still not one of the best songs ever? And didn't PC wear the most fabulous clothes in the 60s and 70s? You go, girl!) Ooh. And also a backstage look at Bryn Terfel, that adorable bear of an opera singer. (I have his CD of songs of Welsh songs - "We'll Keep a Welcome." Aaaaah! A round of Cwm Rhondda for everyone!) Anyway, Ovation is keeping me somewhat sane in the heat and humidity that is New York in the summer.
  • I'm still getting used to the fact that when I hear, "The UN Security Council meets again today to discuss North Korea," that said meeting is directly across and one block over from where I work. Maybe I'll stroll by the UN during lunch today, just to see if any sparks are flying. (I'll report back.)
  • So 3 folks were arrested for trying to steal Coca-Cola secrets for Pepsi. Notice no one from Coke ever tries to steal Pepsi's formula. I rest my case on why Coke is better than Pepsi.

Whew! Good to get that stuff off my chest. Got any pocket lint you need to clean out today?

5 comments:

MaryB said...

Yes, I'm loving Marley! Anyone with a dog can surely relate - wonderful!

Liz Hinds said...

Is it about a dog? I imagined Marley's ghost - how pretentious is that?

I shall look for Marley and Me on Amazon now.

Glad you enjoyed Shadow, Mary.

Liz Hinds said...

There, I've ordered it!

MaryB said...

Oh, Liz - Marley and Me will be perfect for you! (Not that Harvs is anything like Marley - )

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »