Thursday, August 11, 2005

Looking for something good to read?

Short of Good Reading Material?


I'm always on the look-out for something good to read. If you're stumped (or will be as soon as you finish the latest bodice-ripping, self-help book), there's help online. The long-list for the Booker Prize has been published for those looking for serious, elite, but very satisfying reading - keep scrolling through the article, you'll see the list after the Rushdie stuff. (Ready for your next cocktail party: "Dahling, I've just finished the latest Zadie Smith - up for a Booker, don'cha know.") I doubt any of these are available in paperback in the US right now, but you can always grab a hardcover or hang on to the list until the paperbacks come out.

The New York Times bestseller lists are helpful, if you've hit a brick wall.

The best books, however, are usually those recommended by friends. I've read a couple of duds over the summer, but some of the better reads (in addition to Dream of the Walled City mentioned in my first post) have been The Secret Life of Bees and Lunch at the Piccadilly (two good Southern stories), Forgotten Voices of the Great War and Tommy (good for WWI buffs), and of course Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (oh, come on - I love reading about those snarky teenage wizards). There's another terrific novel that takes place on the cusp of the reformation in Florence and centers on a strong female character, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the book. I'll check it at home tonight and post it tomorrow.

I'm currently reading Edward Rutherfurd's Dublin that I picked up when I was in London in May (a UK edition) but have discovered that it's published in the US under the title The Princes of Ireland. It's the first in a two-part saga - lots of Celtic, Viking, St. Patrick, Brian Boru stuff going on. Rutherfurd likes sagas - Sarum and London were his others I've read.

By the way, for book reviews or whatever, I'll try my best to link to real reviews instead of those published by people trying to sell you something (Amazon, B&N, etc.). But sometimes that can't be helped. I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to tell you about the book, so ignore the sales pitch.

Only 400 more pages to go in Dublin so I'll be on the look-out soon!

No comments: