Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Queen celebrates her birthday

And We are very amused, the three of us.

Elizabeth "Betty" Windsor. Happy 81st, Your Majesty. Betty, as you remember, got to be famous by having Helen Mirren portray her in The Queen. Mirren walked off with the Best Actress Oscar this year. Mrs. Windsor is a bit ticked that she didn't get an Academy Award as well. Humph!

Catherine "Get That Horse Off Me!" the Great. According to the Julian Calendar under which she was born, Kate the Great is another queenly-type who celebrates April 21 with party hats and cake and no small amount of vodka, I'd wager. Bring on the empty horses!

And then there's Me "Shorty" PJs, Queen of Spanish Harlem (though I'm sure there are a number of queens up here who would dispute my title). The great thing about being a part of this royal trio is that no matter how old I get, Betty and Kate will always be older - way older - than me. I'm the "Queenette" of the group.

And We are still very amused.

8 comments:

Elsie said...

Happy Birthday!!! It's lovely that you share your birthday with royalty. Lucky me, I get to share mine with the "king of pop," Michael Jackson (he's older) ugh! And I am NOT amused.

Have a great day, hopefully doing something fun, enjoying this glorious weather. :)

Anonymous said...

I too share my birthday with a few notables. Johnny Cash God rest his soul , Tony Randle may he also rest , and Michael Bolton . Boy am I in great company . I just turned 55 , and like Sammy Hagar says " I can't drive 55" . Happy 56th birthday and hang in there , we are a vanishing breed . Your former neighbor who knew you when...

Anonymous said...

HAPPY #56 MARY!!!! Enjoy your day to the fullest...whatever that entails. The Queen is in very good company...

petercmoore said...

There's only 1 thing to be said:

"I hope you're bringing cakes to the office!"

Happy birthday!

Liz Hinds said...

A very happy birthday for yesterday, Mary! Hope you had a great day (I bet it was better than Betty's - can't imagine her being very birthday-spirited!)

jcburns said...

Happiest of birthdays from my post of encroaching geezerdom. Also, the crape myrtles and what's left of the bradford pears send their regards. You've come a long way from the Film Department!

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday! Sun is shining, flowers are blooming for it!

Aside: I share mine with Bob Dylan ...

MaryB said...

Thanks, Dear Friends for all the good wishes. The weather really cooperated and we had a gorgeous weekend in New York - all in my honor!

Now let's see what the next 56 years hold in store . . .