Monday, January 22, 2007

"Who Threw the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?" goes digital

Finally, a way to presto-chango old vinyl to digital. Seems someone's gone and invented a turntable that transfers old LPs to MP3 files and CDs - and (get this), for only a couple hundred bucks!

Imagine - all those records coming out of storage (skips, tics, and all), and finding new life. This is a godsend, since I have albums that will never be mass-produced on CD or zapped up for download. No. Really. Trust me. When I cast my mind back to all the weird rock-and-roll, folk, and soundtrack albums I have boxed up - well! Why, getting to hear the obscure Julie Andrews LPs alone would be worth the $150-200 for one of these new gizmo turntables. Sign me up!

Seems the trickiest part to the whole transfer process is cleaning the LPs beforehand. I see big bucks in marketing "album-cleaning kits." Anybody wanna get in on the ground floor of that little gold mine with me?

3 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh the possibilities....all those records that I've had stashed away. Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you stumble up on a way to do eight track....I'm still lost in the 70's and unable to groove to John Mayall. My son gave me an MP3 player for Christmas , I'm still finding out how to operate it...HELP

MaryB said...

Bro - I figure we just get a couple of boxes of Swiffer cloths, cut 'em up into little pieces, repackage them, and market them on eBay. You're an eBay pro - finish "24" then get back to me.

Joy - you know those stacks have some memories (and surprises) tucked away. It'd be great to hear them again.

Jay - now there's a thought. 8 track conversions. All those K-Tel mixes back in the air . . .