And though everybody says to never look anyone square in the eye here (What'll they do? Knife me?), I still like to play my little "Hmm-Wonder-Which-Person" game as I check 'em out surreptitiously.
Hmm. Wonder which person . . .
- is keeping a really fantastically happy secret?
- is keeping a devastatingly painful secret?
- has the most money in her/his pocket? (Not that I'm casing them or anything. Just wondering, that's all.)
- is cheating on her/his husband/wife?
- has the most children?
- changed someone's life for the better today?
- has considered suicide?
- knows the best place to get soul food in this town?
- is in the middle of a great book? (And what's the book?)
- knows the most famous people?
- could be my new best friend if we had the chance to get to know each other?
- I'd most want to slap if I really got the chance to know her/him?
- has been to the most exotic place (in my opinion, of course)?
Well, you get the drift.
Another thing I do is wonder about people's stories. Say each person is given three minutes to choose one story from their life - funny, sad, sweet, ordinary - that sort of sums up who they are - what's the story?
What would your story be?