Thursday, May 04, 2006

The people ride in a hole in the ground . . .

But my daily ride in that hole is pretty fast. Left a little late today - a couple of minutes before 8am - but arrived at the office at 8:13! Fifteen minutes to get from E. 88th/Lex and E. 43rd/Second - incredible! Way faster than my one-stop ride on MARTA in Atlanta (which was about a third of the distance - go figure).

On the downside, the subway car was extremely hot. Time to turn on the AC, NYC! I'll just wear fewer clothes tomorrow. Ha!

Most things are running smoothly, both at home and at the office, but there are a few bumps along the way. Such as - yesterday was payday and I'd filled out all the direct deposit stuff a month ago so that the checks would slide right into my account at the Atlanta bank, but no. I got a "live" check. Which means I had to rush over to Bank of America and open an account. Still can't access the dough for five biz days. Sigh. Another week of mac-'n-cheese, I reckon!

Also, the laptop I have at the office keeps freezing up. Very annoying. Some computer dude is scheduled to look at it whenever he's got a moment. Argh!

Blogger still won't let me comment. Don't know what I've done to piss 'em off. And I have so many comments to make!!

Today is #23 for daughter Kate and I'm not around to celebrate. I know she'll be well taken care of today and tonight, but I still feel I should be around for her birthday. Ah, well, a new chapter.

What are you reading? I'm into Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (or maybe it's Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close, or some variation thereof) by Jonathan something Foer. Pretty interesting read - kinda weird. I think I'll just do an Agatha Christie next. Something comforting and tea-time-ish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The subway's great, isn't it?!! Don't be surprised though if the A/C was already on.

Currently reading "Light on Snow." So far, so good.

And a belated Happy Birthday to Kate.

Welcome to the Northeast!

Anonymous said...

"anonymous" is good in new york. (though my alias is wagner, pal of jcb.) we welcome you once more to gotham. it is without equal in our hemisphere. glad you are a park-goer. treat yourself to a stroll north. things to enjoy above 90th. the conservatory gardens on 105th and fifth. last week was lillac peak. i could smell them on 106th and park. ahhhhh. north a bit is a little pavillion... on top side of the lake. sunday afternoon free, live, initmate, outdoor jazz concerts. not sure when they start. but a guaranteed great time.

chux said...

That always happens when you try and get all the information to these guys in good time. They must hand it over to the office junior to ignore until the day after pay day. For goodness sakes you would have thought these guys would use a little common sense when dealing with the wages for people who have lives and need to pay bills.

Better luck next month!