Monday, January 12, 2009

Shorty meets Jack McCoy

OK, not really. I mean, I won't have the opportunity to meet New York's real "Law and Order" folks until I report to jury duty this morning.

I've never served on a jury, even though I was called four or five times when I was in Atlanta. My experience has been that you just sit around for a while - can be an hour or all day - then somebody comes in, calls your number, and says you're dismissed. It would be kind of cool to serve on a jury (be careful what you wish for, I know), but I have a really busy week ahead of me and hope to be dismissed sometime today. But one never knows, do one?

So I have plenty of reading material and sudoku books packed in my briefcase. I've opted not to lug the laptop down there, even though it is allowed and wifi is available. I'll just stick to the Blackberry. But count on me to report back on the New York courthouse scene.

And who knows? I may show up in an upcoming episode of "Law and Order."

Update: Well, I didn't see Jack McCoy or anyone who looked like him. Or Fred Thompson. I spent all day sitting in a big room (comfy chairs, BTW) of about 300 people, waiting for my name to be called. It wasn't. In fact, there were only about 50 of us losers left at the end of the day. I have to report back tomorrow, and if I'm not called then, I've fulfilled my duty for four or five years, so they say. Wonder why my name's never called? I think I'd make a great juror. Hm.

No comments: