Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Like butta', babe!

More good news for those of us who totally bought into the "laughter = aerobic exercise" story the other day. A big, ol' whoppin' study shows that a low-fat diet doesn't cut your risk for cancer or heart disease. ('Scuse me, while I wipe off that melted butter I just spewed on the computer screen.)

It's all over the news today - here's the story in the New York Times - but the funniest thing has been watching all the low-fat diet gurus get their bike shorts in a wad trying to downplay the findings. (Do I see book profits flying outta' the window, fellas?)

As a daughter of the Deep South, I can truthfully tell you that lard and fat-back can keep your joints and gears well-greased and in action to a ripe old age. Not that I'm so old. Yet. But family on both sides - living well into their 9th decades - never shied away from a dollop or two of fat.

Sure - eat plenty of fresh veggies and bread. Just make sure you throw on lots of butter. It'll keep your coat shiny and your cogs limber.

4 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Mary, I've found that if you just have a little patience and wait it out...almost everything scientific studies have proven, eventually gets disproven somehow...especially when it comes to nutrition. Go figure.


This is the first time I've been to your site...I like it very much...I'll be back; think I'll add you to my blogroll to make it easier to visit...take care...

Liz Hinds said...

That's the best news I've heard this week!, says she, tucking into her choc chip and walnut bread with DIET Flora. I like to cover all the options.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget the cracklin' cornbread and the blackeyed peas with a little hog jowl thrown in. Saw a recipe other day for a Spam and French Fry Casserole that's sure to pop your cholosterol. Will be glad to share it if you want to try it...

MaryB said...

Welcome jdj - yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just waiting for the big scientific thumbs-up on refined sugar - whoooeee!

Tamarika, Liz, and Winston - go for it! Mmmm. French fries, choc chip and walnut bread, with a side of cornbread and blackeyed peas.

Like "that old time religion" - if it was good enough for Grandma, it's good enough for me . . . ! (She lived to see 91, by the way.)