Monday, December 04, 2006

Lighting Up

Park Avenue flipped the switch on its Christmas trees yesterday. Fifty blocks of trees - gorgeous!

Made some holiday headway of my own over the weekend. Mailed 90% of my Christmas cards (and if past years are a gauge, I'll probably forget about the other 10%), festooned the apartment with lights around the windows and a fresh wreath, and watched both the 1938 and 1951 versions of A Christmas Carol. I also saw a colorized version of Miracle on 34th Street (1947), which doesn't count. I'll watch my own B&W version later.

Work has me slammed right now - too much to do in too short a time. A lot of what has to be done needs much Tender Loving Care, not to be rushed. I'm trying to live by the lessons of Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, but I do find myself looking at the whole, impossible picture sometimes and just getting stuck in the overwhelmingness of it all. Ah, me!

Obviously, I need to spend more time lighting (and lightening) up. Maybe the lights on Park Avenue can teach me how.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Wonderful lights. My son and his fiancee are flying out to NY on Saturday for a week, looking forward to seeing the Rockefeller tree and skating - is that in Central Park?

MaryB said...

Skating both at Rockefeller Center and in Central Park - so they have a choice. (I plan to do a little skating myself when daughter Kate gets to town.)

Joy Des Jardins said...

The lights...now that's pretty cool. Skating? That's double cool. I haven't done that in YEARS Mary....and for a very good reason. I'd be a moving weapon out there on that ice...not pretty, not safe, not a good idea. Have fun Sonia...