Saturday, February 09, 2013

A Letter to My Summer-Lovin' Friends

Dear Summer/Beach-Lovers,

A little blizzard blew through here last night. I loved every minute of it: the sideways-blowing snow, the wind, the color of my nose and cheeks when I came in from the cold, the stunning white blanket that was thrown over everything in sight this morning.

Because, dear friends, I love winter. I love snow. I love the cold, clear air that keeps me from feeling dozy and droopy. I love the sound my boots make scrunching through the snow. It's invigorating, mentally and physically.

So beach pictures and mentions of temperatures over 70 degrees are completely lost on me right now. I envy you not. I feel sort of sad that you're stuck in warm air, maybe with the added affliction of sand (and you know where that ends up), when my world is cold, crisp, and white.

Different strokes for different folks, so I honor your summer-lovin' beachy-cravings. But you're wasting your breath and sandy-pictures if you think I long to be there instead of here. This winter-lover will enjoy every snow day thrown her way. I'll save my complaints for July, August, and September, when the heat and humidity saps my energy and creativity.

Perhaps we can all agree on the delights of spring and autumn, and split off into winter- vs. summer-lovin' corners the rest of the year. So, enjoy your days at the beach. As for me, in the month of February, I say: let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

With love,
Your Friendly Snow Miser


No comments: