Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Well-Ordered Shelf

When my books are in order, my life is in order. Well. OK, that's stretching it a bit, but it certainly feels that way. After nearly a week of apartment-chaos, everything is back in its place. Mostly. But at least the books are sorted. And they are sorted (double-shelved, of course) as follows:
  • Southern fiction
  • British (mostly English) fiction
  • Mysteries and thrillers
  • Series (Harry Potter, All Creatures Great and Small, Tales of the City, etc.)
  • Classics (mostly fiction, but some non-fiction)
  • New York fiction
  • Christmas books
  • Biographies
  • Reference
  • World War I non-fiction (yeah, I have enough books on World War I to warrant its own category)
  • General non-fiction
  • New York guidebooks
  • Bibles, hymnals, BCPs
  • Humor, satire, and general silly stuff
  • Large picture and reference books (coffee-table books)
I did a good job of filling a couple of large bags with books I no longer want, and they'll be donated to Housing Works. I also re-discovered some old friends, which caused major distractions as I got sidetracked thumbing through books I'd forgotten about. Still, I managed to complete the job. Now I'm sitting back, enjoying my nicely organized and line-up shelves.

Yep. This is as well-ordered as my life gets. All's right with the world.

2 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Now that's my sort of apartment lined with books!

I am so impressed with your sorting - and range of books. Most of mine are frivolous frothy novels!

But what a job that must have been ...

MaryB said...

Liz, what makes you think that anything fiction (Southern, British, general, etc.) *isn't* frivolous/frothy? FF novels can organize into a plethora of high-minded categories. ;-)